William Reeves (1815 - 1892):
Bishop, Church of Ireland and writer
William Reeves was born in Charleville, County Cork, and was educated at Trinity College, Dublin. He was ordained in 1838 and two years later became master of the Diocesan School in Ballymena, County Antrim. In 1847 he published Ecclesiastical Antiquities of Down and Connor and Dromore, and ten years later The Life of St Columba, which is regarded as the best collection of materials on the early Irish Church. He was the Rector of Tynan and the librarian at Armagh from 1861 to 1886, during which period he purchased the Book of Armagh for the library. From 1886 he was Bishop of Down, Connor and Dromore and lived in Conway House, Dunmurry, County Antrim. In 1891 he became President of the Royal Irish Academy, to whose journal he contributed many papers. He died in Dublin. [Biography by Lady Ferguson].
Tá tuilleadh eolais faoin mbeatha seo ar fáil sa mBunachar Náisiúnta Beathaisnéisí Gaeilge, Ainm.ie, anseo.
Further information about this subject can be accessed in Ainm.ie, the Irish-language biographies database, here
||16 March 1815
||12 January 1892