William Ritchie (1756 - 1834):
William Ritchie was born in Ayreshire, Scotland. He was a shipbuilder and visited Belfast in 1791 with the aim of transferring his shipyard from Scotland to Belfast. In 1791 he founded a shipyard on the site of the Old Lime Kiln Dock. As well as building ships, he was also employed by the Ballast Board to construct their first dock, which was completed in 1800. He was involved in charitable work for the Poor House, and the House of Industry. He was buried in Clifton Street Cemetery in Belfast.
© 2021 Ulster History Circle