James Gandon was born in England and began to practise as an architect in 1764. In 1781 he came to Dublin to supervise the construction of the docks and Custom House and at the same time was working on the design of the Four Courts. Among other projects, he designed Bishop's Gate in Derry city. He was a member of the Royal Irish Academy. He is buried in Drumcondra churchyard.