George Collie (1904 - 1975):
George Collie was born in Carrickmacross, County Monaghan, and was educated at St Kevin's Metropolitan School, Blackpitts, Dublin, the Royal Hibernian Academy and the Metropolitan School of Art. In 1927 he won the Taylor Art Scholarship, which allowed him to travel. He studied art in Paris at both the Academie Colorossie and the Grande Chaumerie, and in London at the Royal College of Arts. When he returned to Dublin, where he opened his own studio and school in Schoolhouse Lane, he taught in the National College of Art. He gained a reputation as a portrait painter, and President de Valera and Cardinal D'Alton were among his subjects. In the parish church, Bailieborough, County Cavan, he painted the Stations of the Cross.