Cuchoigriche O Cleirigh was born in Kilbarron, County Donegal. He was asked by his cousin Micheal to help with what became the Annals of the Four Masters. During the period when he was living and working in Donegal from 1625 to 1636 he forfeited his land. He settled in Ballcroy, County Mayo. His poems in Irish still exist in manuscript form.