Frederick Augustus Hervey (1730 - 1803):
Bishop - CoI
Frederick Hervey was born in Surrey and his christening took place in the distinguished presence of the Duchess of Marlborough, the Duke of Richmond and the Prince of Wales. He was educated at Winchester and Westminster School and Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and became a chaplain to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, who was his brother. In 1767 he was appointed Bishop of Cloyne and in the following year was translated to Derry. He built houses at Downhill and Ballyscullion, County Londonderry, in which he stored his vast art collection. He was in favour of Catholic emancipation and was renowned for his support of the Volunteer movement, which was uncommon for an English aristocrat (in 1779 he succeeded as 4th Earl of Bristol). He provided the money which built the spire of Derry Cathedral and was made a freeman of Derry and Dublin. He is remembered as a colourful and unorthodox cleric. The end of his life was spent in Italy, and he is buried at Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, where the inhabitants of Derry erected an obelisk to his memory.