Hilary Heron (1923 - 1977):
Hilary Heron was born in Dublin and spent her childhood in New Ross, County Wexford, and Coleraine, County Londonderry. She was educated at a single-teacher school and the National College of Art, Dublin, where she won three Taylor Prizes. For sculpture in wood, limestone and marble she was awarded the first Mainie Jellett Memorial Travelling Scholarship in 1947. In the same year, she went to Italy and France to study Romanesque carving. She was instrumental in founding the Irish Exhibition of Living Art, and first exhibited there in 1943. With Louis Le Brocquy, she represented Ireland at the Venice Biennale in 1956. In 1950 and 1953 she held one-woman shows in Dublin. In the 1950s she began to work in metal. She travelled in Asia, America and Europe, and her works are in many countries in both private and public collections.