Charles W. Harvey (1895 - 1970):
Charles (his marriage certificate gives Cathal; he married Jean Macgregor on 19th September 1940). Harvey was born in London. His father was a map-maker with the Ordnance Survey, and his family moved to Belfast in 1906, and lived on the Antrim Road. Charles studied at the Belfast School of Art and won a gold medal in the National Competition for Design. For a short time in 1914 he attended the Metropolitan School of Art, Dublin. He trained as a damask designer and was alo knowledgeable about antique furniture. From 1932 to 1960 he taught in St Mary's Training College, Belfast, and retired as head of the art department. He often exhibited in the Ulster Arts Club. His landscape painting was generally of Ireland: Connemara, Donegal and County Down. In the 1930s he went to paint in Brittany. In 1976, a retrospective exhibition was held at the Arts Council Gallery.
His wife was born in Dublin in 1908 -the McGregors came north and lived at 21 Holland Park, Knock. Her parents are buried in Dundonald Cemetery. Jean died
on 25th March 1994 and is buried with Charles who died on 27th June 1970, in Milltown Cemetery, Belfast.
||27 June 1970