Edward James Harland (1831 - 1895):
Edward Harland was born in Scarborough, Yorkshire was educated there, and was apprenticed to the firm of Robert Stephenson & Co, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He became a draughtsman in Glasgow, and in 1853 he was appointed manager of a shipyard on the Tyne. In 1854 he came to Belfast as manager of a Belfast shipyard. He and his associates bought the business in 1859 and developed it so that it became one of the most important shipyards in the world. In 1862 GW Wolff became his business partner; another one was William James Pirrie From 1875 to 1886 he was Chairman of Belfast Harbour Commissioners. A baronetcy was conferred upon him and he served as Mayor of Belfast. In 1887 he was High Sheriff of County Down, and from 1889 to 1895 he was Member of Parliament for the North Belfast constituency.
His grave is in the Belfast City Cemetery; his statue is in the grounds of Belfast City Hall.
||15 May 1831
||24 December 1895