Edward Rodney Richey Green (1921 - 1981):
Rodney Green was born in Belfast and was educated at the Royal Belfast Academical Institution and Trinity College, Dublin, where he graduated in Modern History in 1942. After a year working for the Ministry of Agriculture, he took up a lectureship. In 1945 he was appointed staff tutor in the Department of Extra-Mural Studies at Queen's University, Belfast, though he left this post after two years to continue his research in America. In 1950 he went to St Antony's College, Oxford and subsequently to the University of Manchester, where he was Lecturer and then Senior Lecturer in History from 1954 to 1970. In 1970 he returned to Belfast as Honorary Professor and Director of the Institute of Irish Studies, Queen's University. His interests included archaeology, contemporary economics and Donegal Irish. He published a study of the industrial and commercial history of the Lagan Valley in 1949, and in 1963 a regional study of County Down for the Ministry of Finance. He was a member of the Royal Irish Academy, the historic Monuments and Historic Buildings Councils, the Cultural Relations Committee of the Department of Foreign Affairs in Ireland, and of the Radio Telefis Eireann Authority.