Dr Charles Purdon (1818 - 1882):
Charles Nicholas Delacherois Purdon was a member of a noted Ulster medical family.
He was born in Antrim, third son of Dr Henry Purdon (senior). He was schooled at the Belfast Academical Institution which he entered in 1827 (before it was “Royal”) from his father’s residence at 14 Wellington Place, Belfast, and then Trinity College, Dublin from 1834, where he studied arts and medicine, proceeding BA in 1839. He was Licentiate of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and obtained its Licence in Midwifery, also 1839; MB of Trinity, 1841; MA of Trinity and Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, both 1842.
He started general practice at 14 Wellington Place, Belfast, became medical officer to the County Antrim Militia and a certifying factory surgeon; he was also physician to the Belfast Charitable Society as well as the Deaf, Dumb and Blind Institution. He was President of the Ulster Medical Society 1874-1875. Among his interests outside the profession was the study of archaeology. He married, on 18 January 1843, Jane Maria Calvert (1822-1916) only daughter of Joseph Calvert at Carnmoney (Church of Ireland). The Purdons had three medical sons: Dr Henry Samuel Purdon (1843-1906); Dr Richard James Purdon (1845-1918); and Dr Joseph Arthur Purdon (1861-1908).
Purdon died in January 1882 at 14 Wellington Place and lies in Lisburn Cathedral Graveyard.
RSJ Clarke: A Directory of Ulster Doctors (who qualified before 1901): Belfast, Ulster Historical Foundation, 2013
© 2020 Ulster History Circle