Frederick Tulloch (1863 - 1953):
Frederick Henry Tulloch was an English-born architect who spent a substantial part of his career in Belfast, where many prominent buildings he and his various firms designed are still standing.
He was born in Islington, London, the third son of a bank manager, James Tulloch and his wife Augusta. In 1880 he was articled to Thomas Edward Collcutt, by then based in London and whose work included the Imperial Institute in South Kensington, which Tulloch also worked on, and the Savoy Hotel. He also worked for a period in the offices of Francis William Tasker, another London-based architect who had also worked in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Tulloch, who studied at the Architectural Association and the Royal Academy Schools, set up in independent practice in Westminster in 1892. IN the 1890s he frequently entered architectural competitions and exhibited some of his plans at the Royal Academy. In November 1895 he formed a partnership with Belfast architect Robert Graeme Watt trading as Graeme Watt & Tulloch; in 1909 the concern became Watt, Tulloch & Fitzsimons. Watt left the partnership in 1915. Tulloch retired in 1922 and settled in Bournemouth, where he died. His business addresses in Belfast were at Wellington Place, Castle Place and Victoria Street; he resided variously in Malone Avenue and Myrtlefield Park. He lived at two addresses in this street, one of which was “Haslemere”, which he designed himself and is particularly eye-catching for its Arts and Crafts style. He was admitted ARIBA (Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects) in 1889 and Fellow in 1902.
Much of Tulloch’s (and his partner’s) work in and near Belfast involved commercial premises, though not exclusively: they were awarded a contract to construct three libraries in Belfast, and they built some private dwellings. The striking Murray’s Tobacco Works in Sandy Row, south Belfast, with its distinctive pagoda-style roof ornamentations, was their work; other notable constructions were show buildings, for Eastern Agricultural Association at Balmoral, south Belfast, now the site of the King’s Hall and until recently the base of the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society; a new wing on the venerable Royal Belfast Academical Institution; a new electricity station on East Bridge Street; and the linen warehouse for William Ewart in Bedford Street.
Paul Larmour: The Architectural Heritage of Malone and Stranmillis, Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1991; Dictionary of Irish Architects (www.dia.ie); www.scottisharchitects.org.uk
© 2023 Ulster History Circle