Samuel Martin Stevenson (1742 - 1833):
Samuel Stevenson studied for the ministry in Glasgow, and was licensed by Templepatrick Presbytery in 1767. He served as master in the Curch of Ireland Diocesan School in Monaghan, where he lodged with an apothecary and developed an interest in medicine. From 1773 to 1776 he studies medicine in Dublin and Edinburgh, and was also minister for Greyabbey, County Down. He settled in Belfast, and resigned from the ministry in 1785. He set up a medical practice and specialised in the treatment of fever. He was physician to the Belfast Dispensary from 1796 to 1799, attending physician to the hospital from 1800 to 1810, and consulting physician from 1830 to 1833. He was President of the Belfast Library Society from 1803 to 1804 and was involved with the Belfast Academical Institution.