Henry Joseph James Blackwood (1920 - 1992):
Harry Blackwood was born in Armagh and was educated there and Queen's University, Belfast, where he took a degree in dental surgery in 1941. In 1945 he graduated in medicine and he held various junior posts in surgery in the Harrogate and District General Hospital. He was Resident Surgical Officer at the Baguley EMS Hospital Altrincham and in 1948 was appointed Registrar at the Royal Dental Hospital in London. He was a prominent dental scientist and was awarded a Nuffield Foundation Fellowship at the London Hospital. In 1959 he attained a Doctorate of Medicine at Queen's University, Belfast. He contributed to the Bone and Tooth Society and edited the proceedings of their conferences. His own research centred on the anatomy and diseases of the teeth and oral tissues. He was Honorary Consultant in Oral Pathology at the Royal Dental Hospital and a Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists. In 1983 he became President of the Odontological Section of the Royal Society of Medicine.