Dorothy Isabel Blackham (1896 - 1975):
Dorothy Blackham was born in Dublin and trained as an artist in the Royal Hibernian Academy, The Metropolitan School of Art, and Goldsmith's College, London, from 1921 to 1922. She taught art for a period and was awarded medals at the Tailteann Festivals of 1928 and 1932. She worked in Gibraltar among refugees from 1939 until 1945. She married and moved to Donaghadee, County Down, where she continued to paint under her maiden name. She designed posters, Christmas cards, and worked in oils, water-colours and tempera as well as producing drawings for The Bell and other magazines. She exhibited widely at the Royal Academy, the Ulster Women Artists' Group, the Royal Hibernian Academy, the Royal Society of British Artists, the Ulster Academy, the Watercolour Society of Ireland, and the Arts and Crafts Society of Ireland. Examples of her work are in the Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery, Dublin.